White meat and grilled dishes started to dominate our menu when my parents hit their senior years and maintenance medicines also became part of their diet. Being a certified junk food addict, I feared that healthy food would bore my palate. It turns out that healthy doesn’t mean bland and boring with a mom that can make any dish interesting… even twice! Here’s our second installment for our Take-Two series, the Roasted Chicken to Pocket Treat.
Prepare ingredients and put them in separate bowls :
wash, seed and dice the tomato, red bell pepper and green bell pepper
wash and dice onion
peel, seed and dice the cucumber
grate the cheese
dice chicken meat into chunks
slice pita bread in half
- Run a knife through the center of the pita bread to make a pocket.
- Briefly heat pita bread in the oven or toaster.
- Layer a teaspoon each of the ingredients i.e. cucumber – red bell pepper – chicken- onion – green bell pepper – chicken – tomatoes – cheese. You may arrange the ingredients in the pocket according to your preference.
- Top with sour cream or honey mustard dressing.
- Serve with Nachos or veggie chips.
You don’t have to worry about snack time when you have chicken left over for lunch. These Take-Two Pocket Treats can make you go for several takes on a healthy and tasty snack.