Food takes a lot of time and energy to produce and yet some people have no qualms about wasting it. My mom would always remind us to put food that is just enough for us to finish in order to avoid such waste. However, when it comes to cooking or preparing food, gauging how much is just enough for everyone can be a bit tricky especially when you are feeding a group of people. Whenever we have excess food for lunch or dinner, my mom would often find ways to re-create it into a new dish so that we don’t have to throw it away. She always has fun doing Take-Twos or recycling left overs and the excitement over what will evolve from them has never died down through the years. Here is the first serving of our Take-Two Series which will be featured in this blog in the next few months - Menudo to Arroz Sabroso.
- Drain sauce left over menudo and set aside.
- In a pan, sauté garlic, onion and 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- Add 1 cup of glutinous rice and mix until rice is thoroughly coated with tomato sauce.
- Pour menudo sauce and 1 cup of water to cook the rice.
- Constantly stir mixture until rice is cooked, add water if necessary.
- Add drained left over menudo and toss in bits of ham, bacon, or hotdog.
- Mix well and serve.
Our left over viand is now transformed into a one dish meal for two or an additional dish for your dinner menu to be shared with the whole family. You can serve it in a platter and garnish it with wedges of hard-boiled egg and blanched julienned green bell peppers.