The first week of school has fueled my drive to search for new and interesting ideas for nutritious baon for my little ones. As I was going through some old magazines a recipe card from The Maya Kitchen recipes and I got my answer for next week’s new baon feature for my kids – a Mini Calzone packed with meat mushroom and veggies. Here are the steps and ingredients for the Mini Calzone recipe from Maya Kitchen:
1 pack Maya Original Hotcake Mix (200 grams)
1/3 cup shortening
2-3 tbsps water
1. Get a bowl and cut in shortening into the hotcake mix until mixture resembles cornmeal.
2. Add water to form a ball of dough then set aside.
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup cooked and diced chicken meat
¼ cup diced ham
¼ cup cream of mushroom soup pack in sachet diluted in ½ cup water
½ cup sliced button mushrooms
¼ cup diced green and red bell pepper
¼ cup peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil for brushing
- Heat butter then saute onion. Add chicken and ham after a few seconds
- Stir in cream of mushroom, bell pepper, mushrooms and peas.
- Cook just until it thickens then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heal and let it cool.
- Get crust mixture and divide it into 5 pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a 5-inch circle.
- Put 1 to 2 tbsps. of filling at the center then fold to make a half moon. Pinch edges with fingers to seal then brush with oil.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven until golden brown.
These mini snacks already cover at least three food groups in the food pyramid or Movaba Plate. I got carbohydrates, proteins and veggies packed in one bite sized pouch. I can’t wait to serve it to prepare and serve it to my little ones next week.