Dish up quick and simple fares for no-meat Fridays that lets you enjoy the natural flavors of your meal. For this week, we savored the taste of Steamed Shrimps and Kangkong with Pickled Radish. This appetizing dish is packed with nutrients in every ingredient used. Shrimps are great sources of amino acids, omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12. The bright green leaves of kangkong contain carbohydrates, protein, fiber and traces of calcium, Beta carotene, phosphorus, iron, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin and ascorbic acid, while radish is a good source for vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, riboflavin, manganese, vitamin B6, folate, potassium and dietary fibers.
Here are the ingredients and the steps to prepare Steamed Shrimps and Kangkong with Pickled Radish.
1/2 kilo small to medium sized fresh shrimps
½ bundle of kangkong
1. Wash shrimps thoroughly and cut the antenna and sharp portions on the head using shears.
2. Season with salt and place it in a covered pan.
3. Cook shrimps using medium heat on a stove.
4. Remove from heat as soon as the shrimp changes color from gray and white to orange.
5. Steam kangkong separately to keep its bright green color.
1. Slice the radish into sticks measuring approximately 2 inch long and ½ cm thick.
2. Season with salt and let it stand for about 5 mins.
3. Rinse radish in running water.
4. Blanch and drain the radish sticks thoroughly.
5. Set aside sticks and prepare pickle solution by mixing cane vinegar, sugar and salt.
6. Put radish sticks in a dry and clean jar.
7. Add pickle solution and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Steamed Shrimps and Kangkong with Pickled Radish is a quick and simple meal that makes us appreciate the simple flavors and simple concoctions that we can create using the most basic kitchen condiments.