My two tots attended a Halloween Party hosted by their aunt and uncle, who are both doctors. We decided to dress them up in matching nurses uniform as a pun for our hosts. Luckily, the menu for the trick or treat party did not include dishes that leave permanent stains on clothes.
The party fare included Classic Pepperoni Pizza, Chicken Fingers, Criss-Cut Fried Potatoes, and Pinwheel Sandwiches. The colorful and appetizing sweets which included Candied Apples, Popcorn Balls, Orange Cupcakes with spider toppers, and Bone Shaped Biscuits were instant hits with the kids. However, what was most interesting for my kids was the candied apples which was a new discovery for them. So I asked my sister for a Candied Apple Recipe and this is what I got.
CANDIED APPLE RECIPE
½ cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 drops red food coloring
1. Thoroughly wash apples and insert popsicle sticks through the core of the apple with the handle protruding from the top of the apple where the stem used to be.
2. Mix water, sugar and light corn syrup in a saucepan and stir continuously until the sugar has melted.
3. Let the mixture cook without stirring at low fire until a spoonful of mixture dropped in a glass of water hardens immediately.
4. Quickly stir in the food coloring.
5. Dip apples in and coat thoroughly by turning the apple.
6. Set the coated apples on a greased baking sheet in a standing position with sticks pointing upward.
7. Wait for the coating to cool and harden.